Friday, December 30, 2005

WHO ARE YOU BECOMING?

I’m pretty energized as 2005 comes to a close. You see I’m wired up with a future orientation – what was happened doesn’t interest me nearly as much as what will happen. Possibilities and potential – the what could be(s) of life – that gets my heart pumping. I think that is why these words from the prophet Isaiah resonate with me:

“Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland” (Isaiah 43:18-19).

Now you may be thinking that I have an addiction to the new, new thing; I lovingly like to call it spiritual ADD.

The reality is that all of us are in a state of becoming. The big question is, “what kind of person are you becoming, spiritually, physically, emotionally, relationally, and intellectually?” Check out what the Apostle Paul said to the Christ community in Philippi:

“…being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus” (Philippians 1:6).

We are people in process.

Alex McManus at Into the Mystic, turned me on to a site that I will be utilizing over the next couple of days as I move into 2006 (BTW - next week I will be taking four days of solitude at a friend’s river house to read, pray, study, make music, commune...). Here’s what Alex wrote:

“If you could send an email to your future self 1 year from today, what message would you send? What message would you send to your future self in 5 years? 20 years? Whatever your message, you can send it to your future self via futureme.org. As the New Year approaches, and we think about who we’ve been in times past and the people we want to become, try this exercise: what email message would you send not only to yourself but to those you love? Your spouse or your kids?”

As the curtain is drawn on 2005 and the New Year begin why not take some time and prayerfully write a letter to your future self. Ask God to guide you through the process and to help you answer this question, “what kind of person are you becoming?”

Stay Connected…

No comments: