Tuesday, October 25, 2005

STUCK IN A MOMENT WITH U2

Here are a few memorable moments for me from the concert this past Saturday…

THE FIRST TIME – In October 1980 a quartet of from Dublin released their first album, “Boy;” as they say, the rest is history. This song reminded me of a series of worship gatherings at our church this past summer, “Prodigal People” taken from the powerful story that Jesus told in Luke 15. Bono sang:

I have a lover, a lover like no other
She got soul, soul, soul, sweet soul and she teach me how to sing
Shows me colors when there's none to see
Gives me hope when I can't believe that for the first time I feel love

I have a brother when I'm a brother in need
I spend my whole time running, he spends his running after me
When I feel myself going down, I just call and he comes around
But for the first time, I feel love

My Father is a rich man, He wears a rich man's cloak
Gave me the keys to His kingdom coming, gave me a cup of gold
He said "I have many mansions, and there are many rooms to see."
But I left by the back door, and I threw away the key
And I threw away the key, yeah I threw away the key
Yeah I threw away the key
For the first time I feel love

SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY – In a post 9-11 world, Bono’s introduction to this classic song resonated with me: “America, this is your song now….”

I can’t believe the news today
Oh, I can’t close my eyes and make it go away
How long... How long must we sing this song?
How long? how long...
Broken bottles under children’s feet

Bodies strewn across the dead end street
But I won’t heed the battle call
It puts my back up Puts my back up against the wall
Sunday, bloody Sunday

PRIDE – I actually received two text messages during this song. One was from Bono in response to my text message in support of the ONE Campaign (try texting your full name to 86483 and see if it works). The second was from a friend who told me that she actually became a Christian at a youth event while the band was playing that very song – how awesome is that?

MISS SAVRAJO – Stripped down with the Edge playing keys and Bono doing his best impression of an Irish tenor, handling the Italian operatic lines originally sung by Luciana Pavarotti (who received birthday greetings from Bono and their crowd as he celebrates his 70th birthday this month).

SOMETIMES YOU CAN’T MAKE IT ON YOUR OWN – This was an emotionally powerful moment as Bono actually took off his shades and notes from deep within his soul poured forth as he sang about his combatant, yet loving relationship with his late father.

PARTY GIRL – Did you ever wonder what happens to a guy in the audience with a sign that reads, “Me + Guitar = Party Girl?” You get to jump onstage and play the song with the band. The guy was pretty good – he had all the chords changes down and even got a chance to play the lead part (all the time standing right next to the Edge). Catchy little tune from “Under a Blood Red Sky” and impressive performance by the guy; I think I would have peed myself.

One more post coming about the ending of the concert and until then...

Stay connected…

1 comment:

Brenton Balvin said...

Terry, glad you found my blog. Can you please switch the url in your link list? Thanks. And keep up the good stuff. We are going to use 'One' in a couple weeks. Looking forward to it.