Monday, October 24, 2005

U2 COMES TO PITTSBURGH

Over the past five years or so, God has used U2 as a powerful catalyst in my life to press deeper into Scripture, God’s heart, and God’s kingdom. And after month and months of anticipation, this past Saturday I had the opportunity to gather with family members and friends (both near and scattered all around the Mellon Arena) to experience first hand the art and heart of U2. Later this week I will share a few of my favorite moments of the concert, but today I am thinking about the larger impact and impressions the event had on me.

COMMUNITY – How many bands have come and gone over the last 29 years? Why do I ask that question? Because the four members of U2 have been together for 29 years of uninterrupted musical community. While countless other bands flame out, burn out, implode and explode, these guys continue to make music together and truly enjoy one another. While recognizing the unique contributions each member brings to the table, in U2’s case, 1 +1 + 1 + 1 = “One” incredible musical experience far beyond the individual contributions. I loved to watch the non-verbal communication on stage – the occasional glance and smile, huddling together around a mic, the sharing of the spotlight; a look from Bono that signaled one of his famed lyrical improvisations; these guys are living inside one another’s skin. One of my favorite moments was during an acoustic version of “Stuck in a Moment;” when the Edge blew a change, Bono whispered in his ear and they played it a second time this time nailing it perfectly.

What I experienced on Saturday night was a powerful vision for musical community. I have been playing with some guys in a band for a few years now and I pray that 30 years from now we have the kind of love for the music and more importantly for one another that I saw on display on stage at the Mellon Area.

THE EDGE – While Bono may be the soul of U2, the Edge is the heart. Above the stage was a large screen that contained four separate viewing areas, one section dedicated to and focused upon each of the four band members. Quite often I found myself captivated with the Edge, riveted on his amazing guitar skills. The man plays with incredible passion and simply makes his guitar sing. Whether he was blazing through classic riffs from “One” or “Where the Streets Have No Name” or the tasteful changes on his acoustic on “The First Time” or “Stuck in a Moment,” the signature sound of U2’s music flows from the Edge’s heart through his hands.

TRANSCENDENT MOMENTS – Last week I read about a workshop that will be presented at Willow Creek’s Next Generation Conference on worship leadership entitled “Everything I Needed to Know abut Worship Leading I Learned from an Irish Rock Star.” Let me tell you, U2 understands flow and how to move (and there is a big difference between move and manipulate) an audience. In a recent interview in Rolling Stone, Bono was asked, “What are you trying to do with the audience?” He responded, “To lose my own sense of self, self consciousness – and theirs. It’s an amazing thing. We’re not really a rock & roll band. We’re pretending to be a rock & roll band and sometimes we get away with it… Our set list is designed in a kind of three-act structure, to get people out of themselves and to get ourselves out of ourselves. And to get to a place where everything feels possible…Our definition of art is the breaking open of the breastbone, for sure. Just open-heart surgery.”

I have been a worship leader for quite a few years and feel like I have a pretty good experience base to draw from; but, Bono and the boys took me to school. There were times when I thought my heart was going to explode (Elevation and Where the Streets Have No Name) and tender moments when tears flowed freely (Sometimes You Can’t Make It on Your Own). Surely the presence of the Lord was in the place and I knew it!

It’s a beautiful day; don’t let it get away!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terry,
How great that concert must have been! I wish we could have gone. Kevin and I saw U2 the last time they were in Pittsburgh at Three Rivers about 10 years ago. I can recall having a similar experience during "Pride." It was a most remarkable transcendent few moments that caused me to feel God's presence as clearly as I felt Kevin standing next to me.
I read the review in the paper this morning; it mentioned some amazing moments during the concert. But I have to say, you've hit on the real quality of U2's influence, - they're not afraid to go and point the audience beyond the music to that place where we all long to be -- to the heart of God. How they've gotten away with doing this as a rock band is truly miraculous and just plain cool.
JoAnne

terry said...

JoAnne -

thanks for stopping by and sharing your story. bono at one point on saturday said to the congregation (excuse me, crowd), "take it to church," and we really did as we sang, " I believe in the kingdom come when all the colors will bleed into one, bleed into one,
well yes I’m still running. You broke the bonds and you loosed the chains, carried the cross of my shame, of my shame, you know I believe it."

i received a text message from someone who was at the concert on saturday and they said that they became a christian while listening to "where the streets have no name."

i love what you said, "how they've gotton away with doing this as a rock band is truly miraculous and just plain cool."

pride is one of my all time favorite songs. i'm trying to find a way to include it when we conclude our environment series in a couple of weeks when we explore water -love is the context for mission.

grace and peace - tt