Monday, October 10, 2005

SOMETHING TO BE

Well I capped off my weekend by spending a couple of hours with my daughter Abby at Heinz Hall (along with a few other friends scattered throughout the venue) enjoying the Rob Thomas concert. The show rocked. For those of you not familiar with Rob, he is the lead singer of Matchbox Twenty and his biggest commercial hit was a song he wrote and recorded with guitar genius Carlos Santana, “Smooth” (he did a great scaled back version last night –I love to hear deconstructed arrangements - very Sting-like – but that’s a different story). The show included stuff from his solo project, great MB20 songs, obscure Tabitha’s Secret songs and a few classic covers like “Let’s Dance” (David Bowie), “Stop Dragging My Heart Around” (Tom Petty and Stevie Nix) and a beautiful Tracy Chapman song.

Rob opened the song with the title track from his solo project, “Something to Be.”

I can't stand what I'm starting to be
I can't stand the people that I'm starting to need
There's so much now that can go wrong
And I don't need somebody
Trying to help it along
It's the same old song
Everybody says you've been away too long
Everybody wanna tell you what went wrong
Wanna make you like an icon
Till you believe that they're right

I've been looking for something
Something I've never seen
We're all looking for something
Something to be…

The song reminds me that life is all about being. Yesterday in our worship gathering I reminded our community that it is not only important to know who we are but as well to possess a vision of who and what we will become.

Rob’s opener got me thinking - a number of years ago I discovered a book by Brennan Manning (Abba’s Child) that radically changed my life (perhaps even saved my life): Manning said, “Define yourself as one radically loved by God.”

I heard not long ago that the key to real life is “simply” to become what we all ready are.

We're all looking for something
Something to be…

What do you think?

Stay Connected…

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Terry, had to come by and glad I did...I once was told by a very special man that he tried to see everyone as a PCG (precious child of God) and challenged us to do the same, even gave us a cheap pair of glasses to wear and "look through and see people as God sees them..."

He challenged us to wear them for two sessions of 5 minutes each day, once looking at others and once (this was HARD) looking at ourselves in a mirror...talk about changing your outlook!

Trying to be-come more...
Crash on Bro.