Friday, March 04, 2005

FREEDOM

Last night I watched a woman walk (actually fly) into freedom. It was a big night outside the prison gates in Alderson, WV and at the Greenbrier Community Airport. Martha Stewart was released from prison after serving the first phase of her sentence for her conviction on charges connected to the sale of her shares in ImClone Systems.

My wife Patty has been a fan of Martha for quite some time. Over the years, I have to admit I have grown to respect Martha and have actually watched a few episodes of her TV show with Patty.

I was interested to see what Martha looked like last night upon her release from prison. I realize it was a highly choreographed event, but Martha looked really good. There was lightness in her step, warmth in her smile, and a sense of genuine joy on her face. Being released from prison can do that to a person. Although Martha did not speak to the reporters and well-wishers gathered, she did release a statement on her website that read:

"The experience of the last five months in Alderson, West Virginia has been life altering and life affirming. Someday, I hope to have the chance to talk more about all that has happened, the extraordinary people I have met here and all that I have learned. I can tell you now that I feel very fortunate to have had a family that nurtured me, the advantage of an excellent education, and the opportunity to pursue the American dream. You can be sure that I will never forget the friends that I met here, all that they have done to help me over these five months, their children, and the stories they have told me. Right now, as you can imagine, I am thrilled to be returning to my more familiar life. My heart is filled with joy at the prospect of the warm embraces of my family, friends and colleagues. Certainly, there is no place like home."

I pray that these words are true and that Martha's experience in prison has been and will continue to be, a life altering and life affirming one.

Although most of us have not had the kind of prison experience Martha Stewart had, we do know what it's like to be held captive. A number of years ago the band Creed burst onto the musical scene with the song, "My Own Prison."

"A court is in session, a verdict is in,
no appeal on the docket today, just my own sin.
The walls are cold and pale, the cage made of steel
Screams fill the room alone I drop and kneel.
Silence now the sound, my breath the only motion around.
Demons cluttering around, my face showing no emotion
Shackled by my sentence, expecting no return.
Here there is no penance, my skin begins to burn.

I cry out to God, seeking only his decision
Gabriel stands and confirms
I've created my own prison."

We all create our own prisons - prisons of anger, denial, addiction, hurt, fear, pain, sin. One of my own personal prisons is the cell of resentment. One conversation this week with a friend reminded me that my anger toward a particular person is still enslaving me. It's imprisoned me and I need to get out.

As well, others seek to enslave us through their own sinfulness words, intentions, and actions. And yet the truth of the Jesus story is that Jesus came to set the captives free. In one of Jesus' first public appearances He said,

"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor.” [Luke 4:19-20]

What enslaves you? What does your prison cell look like? And what have you learned about yourself, others, and God in the midst of that place? And although there won't be any TV cameras or private jets to whisk you off to the next season of life, Jesus is there - He holds the key, and He wants us to walk into His freedom.

No comments: