Monday, March 07, 2005

BLINK

I'm delving into the latest book by Malcolm Gladwell entitled Blink: The Power of Thinking without Thinking. Now there's a book title you have to love. Who wouldn't want more thinking power without having to think about it?

Gladwell is one of my favorite authors. A couple of years ago he wrote the best-selling The Tipping Point, a study in idea, thought, and social epidemics (that book has huge implications for a social movement like the Christian faith - I highly recommend it. BTW: Blink came into my hands through the kindness of my friend Laurel. She happened to be in Boston a few weeks ago and noticed in the local paper that Gladwell was giving a talk at Harvard. Knowing that I loved his previous work, Laurel found a way to obtain a personally inscribed copy of the book for me. What a great gift. Thanks Laurel!)

Here's a summary of the book:

"Don’t think - blink. Blink is a book about how we think without thinking, about choices that seem to be made in an instant - in the blink of an eye - that actually aren't as simple as they seem. Why are some people brilliant decision makers, while others are consistently inept? Why do some people follow their instincts and win, while others end up stumbling into error? How do our brains really work -in the office, in the classroom, in the kitchen, in the bedroom? And why are the best decisions often those that are impossible to explain to others?"

I'm pretty pumped to discover the power of thinking without thinking. I love practical stuff that will add value to my life (especially if I don't have to think much about it). And I've certainly want to grow in my ability to make good sound decisions (sometimes I make decisions by listening to my gut and then doing the opposite - I'm pretty sure that's not what Gladwell has in mind).

I'll keep you posted on my discoveries. If you want to explore for yourself, follow the link in my Stuff I’m Reading, Watching, and Listening To section.

No comments: