Monday, January 31, 2005

Last night I had the opportunity to sit in with my friend Chris' worship team. There is something about worship at night that I really love (maybe I'm simply more awake). Well I got to play some guitar which was cool but the main reason I was there was Chris asked me to sing the MatchBox 20 song, "Unwell." The chorus goes like this:

"But I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
I know right now you can't tell
But stay awhile and maybe then you'll see,
a different side of me.
I'm not crazy, I'm just a little impaired
I know right now you don't care
But soon enough you're gonna think of me
and how I used to be...me."

Chris' message was entitled "You're Not Crazy" and he was speaking to the reality that people who follow Christ, people who are obedient to Christ's call, well quite frankly, sometimes we may be accused of being crazy. Giving your money away, giving your time away, believing in Someone unseen who is in control of the universe, pouring yourself into relationships with no promise of success, venturing out in faith to a new place to serve the poor, the lonely, the hurting, the broken – that's craziness in the eyes of many.

Consider Paul's words in 2 Corinthians 5:13-15:

“If I acted crazy, I did it for God; if I acted overly serious, I did it for you. Christ's love has moved me to such extremes. His love has the first and last word in everything we do. Our firm decision is to work from this focused center: One man died for everyone. That puts everyone in the same boat. He included everyone in his death so that everyone could also be included in his life, a resurrection life, a far better life than people ever lived on their own."

Here's to the crazy life for God.

No comments: