Wednesday, February 02, 2005

This week Time Magazine released its list of the 25 Most Influential Evangelicals in America. It is quite an impressive collection that includes people from ministry contexts, academia, politics, and the non-profit sector (it strives to be politically correct as well as it includes a sprinkling of African Americans, Hispanics, and women). You can review the list here: http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101050207/photoessay/index.html

While I appreciate the work, ministry, and contributions of many of those named, as I surveyed the list I was dismayed to discover that the youngest member was Brian McLaren (no spring chicken at the age of 46 and I can say that as I enjoy the last month of my 45 year of life). And it got me thinking - who are and who will be the next generation of leading evangelicals in our country. Who will influence the shape of the American Church in the next season of opportunity and mission?

Before I share a few suggestions, perhaps it would be wise to think about the word "evangelical." An evangelical is someone who takes seriously the gospel (good news) of Jesus Christ; someone who shapes his or her life around the values, ethics, teaching and life of Jesus and seeks to invite others into that life as well. What is the Gospel, this good news? The minimum standards required to gain entrance into heaven after you die? A particular social, economic, or political agenda? Or perhaps something more? I like what Jesus had to say about His mission into the world:

"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full" (John 10:10).

I think an evangelical is someone who takes Jesus at His word - that the Gospel is all about a rich, full abundant life, not only in the age to come but in the here and now as well.

Here are 10 people that come to my mind fairly quickly (google any of these names to learn more). I'm not sure they will be on times list ten years down the road, but I sure hope the church listens to their voice in the days ahead.

Stanley Grenz (a student of JI Packer, theologian, and prolific writer)
Erwin McManus (pastor, author, innovator)
Sally Morganthaler (thinker, theologian, worship guru, artist)
Bono (Ok, he's not American but he has a pretty strong influence here in the US)
Chris Tomlin and Matt Redman (two young songwriter/psalmists who inspire the church to worship God more passionately and spread His fame in all the earth and yes I know Redman is a Brit)
Nancy Beach (leader of a global movement of artists in the Church)
Fredericka Matthews Green (NPR commentary, author, and Orthodox Christian)
Cameron Strang (editor of Relevant magazine)
Ruth Haley Barton (thinker, author and practitioner of spiritual formation)

Who would you nominate? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Take a moment if you would and leave a comment.

No comments: