Wednesday, February 23, 2005

MY FAMILY IS HOME

Last last night my wife and two of our children came home. They had traveled south for some sun and soccer. Since our oldest son is away at college, it was just me and Abby, our youngest, for five whole days. To be honest I was a bit concerned about how the days would unfold. But we had a great time together and it was amazing how quiet and calm the house was with just the two of us.

Well things changed rather quickly this morning - my wake up call went something like this: "wake up, the toilet is overflowing." And before I could wipe the sleep out of my eyes and the cobwebs from my brain, I found myself plunging, mopping, and disinfecting. A great way to start a brand new day!

Family life isn't always neat and clean, is it? We can spend a whole lot of time plunging, mopping, and disinfecting. It's rather sloppy and messy at times. Community life is like that as well. Put a a few (or ten or a hundred) people together and pretty soon some messy stuff arises. But we roll up our sleeves, start plunging and mopping and we discover it's better together than apart.

The quiet and calm of the past five days is gone - I'm glad the family is home!

No comments: