Tuesday, January 25, 2005

It was enough to make a grown man cry - literally. And the grown man was none other than the All-Pro Steeler wide receiver, Hines Ward. I'm talking about Hines' reaction on Monday to the beloved black and gold's loss to the New England Patriots in the AFC Championship game this past Sunday. Believe me it was a dreadful game (I was there and most likely would have been crying but it was so cold my tear ducts were frozen). While Hines was lamenting the loss on the football field, his tears extended beyond the frozen turf of Heinz Field. His tears were for his teammates who had left it all out on the field that bitter Sunday day in January, especially his friend, teammate, mentor and leader, Jerome Bettis.

Speaking to the media after Monday's team meeting, Ward said:

"Everybody was crying. That's how bad it hurts. I felt sorry for Bettis because I learned so much from the guy. To me, he's always a champion - regardless of whether he played in a Super Bowl or not. He puts it all on the line. I'm disappointed for him more than anything because he deserves to be in a championship."

Now those are words worthy to be posted on locker room walls

This is what center Jeff Hastings had to say about this year's Steeler team:

"We honestly love each other. This is definitely the tightest team I've ever been on. It's a privilege to play with them. At the end I kind felt like I'd rather lose a game like that with this team than win a Super Bowl with a team I didn't even enjoy playing with."

It's pretty amazing to hear these kind of statements from professional athletes. Quite often I would much prefer to simply mute them. But we ought to listen and take note - remember, the Story unfolds all around us.

"If one part hurts, every other part is involved in the hurt, and in the healing. If one part flourishes, every other part enters into the exuberance. You are Christ's body--that's who you are!" (1 Corinthians 12:26-27)

"This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples--when they see the love you have for each other" (John 13:35).

No comments: