Wednesday, November 30, 2005

THE GOAL IS SOUL

If the goal is soul, how do we get there? Well for me, a huge part of the journey to soul is music, both playing it and listening to it. Music is a powerful soul force in my life. So I thought I would highlight a couple of artists and recordings that are nurturing my soul right now.

First up - Jeremy Camp. Right now I am listening to his latest release, "Live Unplugged." It is my favorite (plus you get a bonus DVD of the concert - what a deal). Jeremy has quite a faith story. Camp experienced a major loss in his life as very early in his marriage, his wife was diagnosed with cancer and shortly after died. After losing his newlywed wife, Jeremy fueled the pain and hurt into his songwriting as a testimony of unwavering faith in God's comfort and the hope of eternal life through Jesus Christ. One of the things I love most about his music is the message of hope that is born from real pain and heartbreak. If you would like to learn more about his story, follow this link to an interview from the March 2003 issue of Christianity Today.

Camp rocks! In fact some of his other releases may be a bit much for some of you. That's why I recommend the "Live Unplugged" release. Think Creed meets Jars of Clay with the a string quartet and an awesome percussionist thrown in for good measure.

My favorite tracks - Understand (track 1):

Every time I fall down on my face
I see the one who bore all my shame
Well to know that you are everything I need you to be
You're my ever present help in time of need
I know you understand it all
So why don't I get back on my feet again...

And Empty Me (track 6):

Holy fire, burn away my desire
For anything that is not of You and is of me
I want more of You and less of me
Empty me, empty me
Fill won’t You fill me with You, with You…

What a great prayer – may it be so!

Stay Connected…

No comments: