Wednesday, November 09, 2005

GENERATIVE FRIENDSHIPS

A couple of years ago I was introduced to a new way of thinking about friendship. I’m not really a “let’s just hang out kind of guy,” so this new way of thinking and living truly resonated with me.

The Emergent Movement talks about generative friendships – friendships that bear kingdom kind of fruit. Friendships that are filled with conversations (and lots of coffee) that move us deeper into the way of Jesus. I have been blessed with a number of these kinds of friendships, near and far, face to face and via the web and for each of them I am thankful.

Over the next two Sunday mornings I am going to be celebrating one of my most significant generative friendships. Twice a month Terry Mann, the lead pastor from Fountain Park Church and I spend a Monday morning together, drinking coffee, sharing our dreams and challenges, bouncing ideas off one another, praying and encouraging one another.

We enjoy spending time together so much that we decided to hang out together on a Sunday morning at one another’s worship gathering. This Sunday I will be speaking at their worship gathering (actually two of them) and on November 20, Terry Mann will be speaking at Christ Community Church of the South Hills. This is a non-traditional pulpit exchange (would you expect anything else from us?). In a normal pulpit exchange, pastors typically switch it up on a Sunday. We will be together for these two Sundays celebrating the connection we have in Christ and we pray that the energy from our relationship ignites some fire and passion in our communities of faith as well.

What do you think about generative friendships? Who has God brought into your life that moves you deeper into the things of God and helps you bear fruit? I would love to hear your story.

Yeah God for generative friendships!

Stay Connected...

No comments: