Sunday, April 03, 2005

THE POWER OF STORY (ENACTING THE KINGDOM OF GOD)

Stories are powerful. They serve as a window through which we gain a clearer view of the world. They can move us from indifference to compassion, from hatred to love, and from darkness into light. Stories shape our imaginations, and provide a sense of meaning, purpose, direction, and intention to life. They have the power to invite us into something larger than ourselves (in the words of Jim Collins a "BHAG," Big, Audacious, Hairy, Goal)

Here's a powerful story from Steve Chalke's book, "The Forgotten Message of Jesus;" it reminds me about the invitation we have from Jesus to "bring the kingdom of God near."

"In the frenzy of battle during World War II it obviously wasn’t always possible to return fallen soldiers to their homeland for burial. Many lay where they fell and are only remembered today by anonymous graves. Fearing this fate for one of their own, a US Company fight in the heart of the French countryside approached a Catholic priest to ask if they could bury their fallen colleague in the small, countryside graveyard attached to the church. To their astonishment, the priest turned them down on two grounds – the dead soldier was not a Catholic and there was no room in the already crowded graveyard. With heavy hearts the soldiers were left with no other option than to bury their friend just beyond the small wooden fence that marked the boundary of the cemetery and indicating its presence with a simple cross.

Within a couple of months the war was over and the company prepared for their journey home. But longing to say goodbye to their dead friend, they decided to return once more to the graveyard alongside where they had buried him. On arriving at the church, the cemetery looked much the same but, try as they might, as they walked around the perimeter fence they could not see any sign of the wooden cross they had left to mark the grave. Angered by they belief that the priest had removed even this simple memorial to they fallen buddy, they ran towards the church to challenge the priest. But as they approached, the priest came out to meet them. “I am so glad you have returned,” he said in a welcoming voice. “After you left I was troubled by my actions. I saw the dignity with which you buried your friend and realized the anguish my decision had caused you. I couldn’t change the fact that the cemetery was full so I decided to solve the problem in a different way. I’ve moved the boundary fence a meter or two so that your friend’s grave is now within the graveyard itself. I hope you can forgive me.”

Like the priest, sometimes bringing the kingdom of God near is not my first thought. But I pray that like the priest it might be my last one.

No comments: