Tuesday, February 06, 2007

OPPORTUNITY BASED EMOTIONS

One of my developmental goals this year is to grow in my emotional engagement. The other day I received a short but powerful email from The Human Performance Institute:

"Being fully engaged requires that you are emotionally connected, mentally focused, physically energized, and spiritually aligned in what really matters. The emotional dimension consists of two types of emotions: survival-based and opportunity-based emotions.

Survival-based emotions involve feelings of anger, fear, revenge, anxiety or insecurity. These negative emotions provide a very low quality of energy.

Opportunity-based emotions involve feelings of adventure, challenge, confidence, enjoyment and gratitude. These positive emotions provide the highest quality of energy, making it possible to fully ignite your talent & skills in what matters most to you.

Tip: When engaging in something or with someone that is very important to you, do whatever it takes to bring opportunity-based (positive) emotions to the moment. For example, think about the positive outcome that you would like to see happen. Generating positive energy ensures that you can be fully engaged in that situation or with that individual."

Today I had the opportunity to put this advice into action. I have a regular weekly meeting with a group that up to this point has been draining me. The last couple of weeks I have walked into this meeting with a variety oif survival-based emotions. This afternoon I worked hard to enter into the experience with a sense of challenege and adventure and it made all the difference for me (and I hope for the others involved).

Does any of this resonate with you? How do you stay engaged emotionally in demanding situation and contexts?

Stay connected...

No comments: